Updates on Sewing Projects Gone to the Dogs

I’m getting better at cutting my losses with sewing projects and sparing myself a lot of time and expense when things don’t work. I think I am am getting more adventurous in my styles and pickier in what I think looks good and is worthwhile. These are positive developments in my sewing discipline, but it’s a bummer that I don’t have much to show for it.

Exhibit A: Lekala 4653

This jacket had a lot of “wow” factor, but a muslin I sewed up made me realize it didn’t get along with by body type. The problem is the center-front opening which fans out in pretty detail along the hipline. I am pear-shaped, and let’s just say that these two concepts do not play nice together. I was drawn to the design and blind to the reality of my bod.


The muslin demonstrated that this design was going to accentuate things that are best left un-accentuated. And because the center-front design  goes quite high up the front bodice, it’s going to look damn awkward with a blouse and pants or skirt – a bit of blouse will peek out no matter what, ruining the line anyway. For now, the dreamy Armani fabric I got for a steal will stay in my stash.

On the plus side, the Lekala experiment was pretty good. The back is too broad (and my fault, because I chose a broad back) but otherwise I got a nice fit at the waist, hips, bust and bicep. I am eager to try Lekala again.

Exhibit B: Vogue 1312

This never made it out of the muslin stage, either. I had a concern about the sleeveless version because it has no darts or shaping (just a side zip) and it’s meant to be kind of Empire-waisted. So, I cut a muslin, and behold:


The bodice looks very weird on. I can’t get a good picture, but let’s just say it looks like a shrunken top my Barbie wore in the 70s. I cut a second muslin with some adjustments – I lengthened the bodice and did a small Dior dart – but it wasn’t great either. Maybe I need something harrowing called a “hollow chest adjustment.”

It got me to thinking that the skirt alone is a lot of lewk for me. A voluminous skirt and a tank top bodice are a weird combo. The pattern also has a long-sleeved option, made out of a knit, but then marrying a knit and a woven seem like a fool’s errand. (Maybe not, if you have experience doing this, I’d love to hear about it). It might look better as a skirt with a crisp white top.

On the plus side, I made my back-up dress from the “Voter’s Choice Challenge, ” McCall’s 7350, and it was OK (I rejiggered a bit after this blog post). Once cooler weather arrives I will wear it.

Speaking of cooler weather… Labor Day Weekend in the US is almost here. It’s traditionally the end of summer and it has me thinking about fall and winter sewing.


Author: shoes15

I live in Connecticut, USA with my husband and my dog, in an old house outfitted with a sewing room, a garden, an orchard, and a big liquor cabinet.

2 thoughts on “Updates on Sewing Projects Gone to the Dogs”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s